Brussels stimulates medical technology innovation
On 28th October, the 6th edition of the MedTech Accelerator® — hub.brussels’ medical devices accelerator — ended with a closing night. And this year, a smart breast pump (Momly) and a mobile menstrual cup cleaner (Tulipal) won the jury over!
Since hub.brussels launched MedTech Accelerator® in 2016, the programme, carried out by its lifetech.brussels cluster, supported 49 projects conceived by Brussels entrepreneurs willing to develop healthcare innovations.
MedTech Accelerator® main preoccupations are highly topical. Every year, the programme rewards the most concrete technological innovation project. The one that come at the perfect time on the market.
“The programme main goals are to stimulate the development of innovative HealthTech solutions as well as helping entrepreneurs measure and face risks linked to their project development,” explains Isabelle Grippa, CEO of hub.brussels.
Momly and Tulipal, award winners of the 2021 edition
In 2021, 8 projects were nominated:
- DocWoo, a cloud alternative for professionnal and natural caregivers, to facilitate home care;
- Lemma Factory, an embedded digital solution for language disabilities (re-education and communication);
- LTSM, a non-invasive medical device to monitor sleep apnea;
- Momly, a smart, compact and concealable device allowing mothers to express their milk wherever and whenever they want;
- Ortho V&G, an electromechanical concept to remove hip implants more quickly and having a less negative impact on patients;
- Plibo, a range of personalized and interactive digital solutions to help patients with a chronic disease to accommodate their lifestyle;
- Take Care, an e-pharma serious challenger regarding order and delivery of health products;
- Tulipal, a mobile menstrual cup cleaner, practical and eco-friendly.
Some leading names of the MedTech sector among the past prizewinners
The programme, supported by Brussels-Capital Region and the ERDF, already propelled several leading names of the sector, including Lys Medical, Axiles Bionics, StellaScreen, SurgeLight, Smarcos – winners of the previous pitch competition.
We must not forget the numerous gems who also enrolled in the programme, as Heart Kinetics, EndoMagnet, MoveUp, Spentys, Cellsine, Innovadent, Kaspard, Depist-Eye, VR4Good, Poolpio, Lilo Health or Dhealth.
A Prize, and much more..
The Jury Prize is worth €3000 (ex. VAT) and the Public Prize is worth €2000 (ex. VAT). Both prizes allow winners to use professional consultants for them to keep setting up their project in the coming year.
Plus, Agoria technological federation will provide the Jury Prize winner with a yearlong affiliation. And last but not least, both winners will be offered an entrance ticket to the MedtTech Meetup event, organized by Covartim in 2022.